Sunday, February 10, 2008

I'm Gonna Need All the Rest I Can Get

I spent the last week in the Seattle, WA area with customers. I don't want to go into great detail, but suffice it to say, the trip was emotionally frustrating and mentally exhausting. Friday, I spent the day getting to the airport around 4:30am, flying for 4-5 hours, sitting at one airport or another for another 2-3 hours, driving for two hours, and collapsing in my bed sometime between 8-9pm. I slept fitfully until after 11am Saturday.

It was lovely...the sleep, not the trip.

If I thought I was busy the LAST two months, the NEXT two months are going to all but kill me. I need to type up all new developments as well as a current status, in verbiage that's appropriate for all potential readers. I need to learn this scanner inside and out, which means probably hours on the phone with Motorola. I need to outline all new developments concerning our Shipping process. I need to outline additional modifications to our Receiving process. I need to complete all specifications for the Local Delivery process. And I need to determine which reports should be created by our developers in Oracle and which can be written by the users with the ad hoc function. I also need to document EVERYTHING out the wazoo.

I have five weeks before our next trip to Washington. Two weeks after that, we want to hand it over to the customers for intense testing. Between now and then, lots of work, lots of communication, lots of decisions to be made (mostly not by me), plus a 30-minute phone conversation every Thursday afternoon to make sure we're staying on track. And we'll probably need it too.

It's all good, right? That's what I always say, "It's all good." James 1:2-3. Yeah, but first I need to requisition a couple more if ME!

No comments: