Sunday, September 28, 2008
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Monday, September 22, 2008
Thursday, September 18, 2008
And I haven't even TOUCHED on how bad things were when Jeff was 12-15 years of age and HOW FAR we've come in the last couple of years with his attitude and behavior. Ask almost anyone! And now, without even TALKING to me, without even considering that I MIGHT have some thoughts on this subject, others (who DON'T even know what I'm talking about in this paragraph) can make a decision on my behalf that could possibly wipe all of that away.
Oh, geez, it just crossed my mind. WHO is going to tell Jeff's dad? Holy crap, here come the "I told you so's." I'M not telling him! Perhaps I'll just have him call the school. (That's the first time I've smiled in about 48 hours.)
Monday, September 15, 2008
I don't want to go into a lot of detail here. Partly because I'm tired. Mostly because I'm trying to focus on 'letting go and letting God' with respect to all things Jeff.
In talking with my mom about it quite a bit yesterday (and the COGs at bible study tonight), I was reminded that there comes a time when all I can do is pray.
So, I prayed last night for Jeff and his faith and his future. And I have to admit, I slept much, MUCH better than the night before. So much so that after my very frustrating day at work today, I intended to pray for THAT tonight and see if I got the same result. But no, back to my first priority...
Jeff has told me TWICE since I got home from my bible study less than two hours ago that he has put some serious thought into it and he thinks that he wants to drop out of school and get his GED.
Okay, so forget praying for a smooth productive day at the office tomorrow. I'm back to praying that God grab this kid by the scruff and maybe whack him in the head and WAKE HIM UP!
I'm dying to know what happened today that brought Jeff to this conclusion. I'll try calling the school tomorrow to find out. When I ask Jeff, he says that he hates it there and is ready to join the workforce. Uhhh, yeah right. I'm not buying it.
I can't even talk about this anymore tonight. I'm going to go to bed, cry for a bit, pray for awhile, and try to fall asleep before the sun comes up.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Here's another view. The tree doesn't look all that big, but I assure you, it's been there for years. The building next to it is my garage. There are only a few feet between the tree and the garage. I got VERY lucky today.
Here is the top end of that same tree. The wind appeared to be blowing from the west. That means that in this picture, the wind would have been blowing into THIS side of my garage. Yet, the tree fell so that it's pointing northwest...TOWARD the wind mostly. I know that obstacles can make wind do strange things. But I'm still surprised that the tree didn't fall into the street to the east.
Here is another picture in our neighborhood. Jeff was standing in our yard pointing the camera into my neighbor's backyard. Their wooden swing was tipped over (far left) and they had a couple of large branches/limbs down.
I don't have pictures, but one of the annual Arbor Day trees in the school yard split right down the trunk and is now lying on the ground. And another neighbor has a branch/limb the size of a small tree lying in their yard as well.
Just a year ago, I had a very large portion of an old, dying tree fall between my home and my neighbors home. I spent several hundred dollars having three trees taken down. Since then, we haven't had any tree issues...until now.
We lost power this afternoon for a few hours. Most of the Colts game actually. Lucky for us, power was restored with less than two minutes left of the game...which was tied. This was an amazing revelation since the last time we checked, the Colts were down 15-0. (We'd been keeping tabs on the score via my son's cell phone.) So this 15-15 score, ball in the hands of the Colts, was a very pleasant surprise. We only got to watch a very short portion of the game, but it ended very well for Colts fans. Colts beat the Vikings, 18-15!
I'm not sure if it's due to the power outages or the downed trees, but Jeff's school has a two-hour delay tomorrow. Best news he's heard all weekend. I on the other hand, have to get up early and get to work. I'll deal with the tree another day.
Friday, September 12, 2008
- Indiana - born and raised
- Kentucky - many times
- Illinois - many times
- Ohio - many times
- Missouri - just passing through to other locations
- Texas - AF basic training
- Louisiana - just passing through, on my way to my AF tech school
- Mississippi - AF tech school
- Tennessee - just passing through to other locations
- Kansas - just passing through to other locations
- Colorado - stationed at the AF Academy
- Wyoming - visited an AF buddy
- Alabama - once on vacation, once for the AF
- Oklahoma - AF training
- Georgia - traveled to client site for work
- New Mexico - just passing through, traveling to my sister's
- Arizona - visiting my sister
- Maryland - traveled to client sites for work
- West Virginia - just passing through to other locations
- Virginia - traveled to client site for work
- New York - airport layover, traveling for work
- Rhode Island - traveled to client site for work
- Pennsylvania - just passing through on my way home from travel
- North Carolina - visiting my sister
- South Carolina - traveled for work
- Minnesota - airport layover, traveling for work
- Washington - traveled to client site for work
- Michigan - airport layover, traveling for work
I've also been to Washington DC, both for work and on vacation with Jeff.
I have the following states yet to visit: Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Florida, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
- Bridezillas - It's HER day. Why portray her as the monster? And even if some women are 'difficult' about their weddings, why memorialize it in film? Justifying such behavior with a television show makes it look like most women would act that way.
- Wife Swap - Yeah...I don't think so. Even if the premise of the show doesn't reflect exactly what the title insinuations, it just totally turns me off.
- Lipstick Jungle and...
- Cashmere Mafia and...
- Desperate Housewives - I don't have any idea what the plots of these three shows are. But all I can picture are inappropriately dressed women pitted against other women. Not interested.
- Gossip Girl - WAY too high school. But that's probably what they're going for.
- Californication - WHAT?!