Friday, June 3, 2011

Birdbrain

When I got home this afternoon, I found a bird in the stairwell of my building.  He was desperately trying to get out.  Well, I assume such...by the way he kept flying into the window above the door.

I tried talking to him.  Ummm, I'm totally guessing he was a him.  I didn't check, didn't think to ask.  I started off the conversation with, "I'm not sure if you even speak English, but..."  He had no reply.  My cats always spoke to me when I talked to them.  They spoke their own language, but still, there was a response.  The bird?  Nothing.

I opened the door and tried to explain to him that it was his best chance at freedom.  He chose instead to fly to the other end of the hallway.  [sigh]  Must be a teenager.  So, I walked up the stairs, down the hallway, and opened the 'other' door...speaking to the bird the entire time.

I let him know that I was higher on the food chain and really knew what I was talking about.  I told him that never-ending blue skies were only feet away.  I tried scaring him towards the door.  I even tried catching him...but only once.

That was about the time I realized I was wasting my time.  I turned around and walked into my apartment.

Two hours later when I left again, there he was, still sitting in the window trying to peck his way out.  I asked him one last time, "Are you ready to try it my way?"  No reply.

Silly birdbrain.

No comments: