Monday, March 12, 2012

Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas



I give You thanks, O Holy Lord, Father almighty, eternal God, Who has granted, not for any merit of mine, but solely out of the condescension of Your mercy, to satisfy me a sinner, Your unworthy servant, with the precious Body and Blood of Your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.

I pray that this holy communion be not to me a condemnation unto punishment, but a saving plea unto forgiveness.  May it be unto me the armour of faith and the shield of good will.  May it be the emptying out of my vices, the extinction of all concupiscence and lust, the increase of charity and patience, of humility and obedience, and of all virtues; a strong defense against the snares of all enemies, visible and invisible; the perfect quieting of all my evil impulses, both carnal and spiritual; a firm cleaving unto You, the One True God; and a pledge of a blessed destiny.

And I beseech You, that You grant to bring me, a sinner, to the ineffable banquet, where You, with Your Son and the Holy Spirit are to Your saints true light, fullness of content, eternal joy, gladness without alloy, and perfect bliss.  Through the same Christ our Lord.  Amen.

No comments: