Sunday, June 23, 2013

Psalm 63

[the psalm from mass this weekend]



1 A psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.

I

2 O God, you are my God—
it is you I seek!
For you my body yearns;
for you my soul thirsts,
In a land parched, lifeless,
and without water.
3 I look to you in the sanctuary
to see your power and glory.
4 For your love is better than life;
my lips shall ever praise you!

II

5 I will bless you as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands, calling on your name.
6 My soul shall be sated as with choice food,
with joyous lips my mouth shall praise you!
7 I think of you upon my bed,
I remember you through the watches of the night
8 You indeed are my savior,
and in the shadow of your wings I shout for joy.
9 My soul clings fast to you;
your right hand upholds me.

III

10 But those who seek my life will come to ruin;
they shall go down to the depths of the netherworld!
11 Those who would hand over my life to the sword shall
become the prey of jackals!
12 But the king shall rejoice in God;
all who swear by the Lord shall exult,
but the mouths of liars will be shut!
 
* A Psalm expressing the intimate relationship between God and the worshiper. Separated from God, the psalmist longs for the divine life given in the Temple, which is based on a close relationship with God. May all my enemies be destroyed and God’s true worshipers continue in giving praise!
 

No comments: