Sunday, July 14, 2013

Callan Weekend

Picture by CB Schaefer.


My grandson spent Saturday and Sunday with me.  I drove to Jasper to get him early Saturday morning and returned him to his mama at the same K-Mart parking lot late Sunday afternoon.  I love weekends with my grandson.

I love the opportunities I get to spend with an infant.  It's been a long time.  I always thought I'd have more kids...until my one-and-only became a somewhat out-of-control teen.  Then I was pretty sure I never wanted another baby.  Not to mention, I've been single since before Jeff was two...there was no way I wanted to be the single parent of more than one!  But I have to say, it's a real joy to get to spend so much time with a baby, tending to their every need, watching their expressions, and being the one to calm them when they're upset.

The fact that I love this little baby is just icing on the cake.  I LOVE the young Mr. Callan Frederick.  He's just a durn sweetie!  And really, he's such a good baby.   A little demanding when he's hungry.  But hey, who isn't?  But he's a good eater and a good sleeper.  He's easy to comfort and watches my mouth when I sing to him.  I truly enjoy spending time with him.

BUT...  he exhausts me.  I'm just not in good enough shape to get up and down every time I need to change his diaper or his clothes.  (I just lay him on the floor since I don't have a changing table.)  Getting only 3-4 hours of sleep at a time is hard on this body that doesn't sleep well even without that kind of alarm clock.  I'm not accustomed to carrying all of his things around, let alone a 10 pound baby in a carrier.  And being available to his every beck and call, I put everything else on the back burner.  So I get absolutely nothing else done.

I don't know how I did it when Jeff was an infant!  Well, except that I was 22 years younger than I am now.  That probably had a lot to do with it.  But then, I was active duty and a single parent...both full-time jobs.  Now, I'm wiped out after caring for Callan for just the weekend.  I'm definitely getting old!

But let me be clear... it is well worth it.  I want to know my grandson and I want him to know me.  I LOVE this quality time that we get to spend together.  And I can't wait to do it again!

No comments: