Thursday, June 5, 2014

Psalm 39


1 [For the choirmaster For Jeduthun Psalm Of David] I said, 'I will watch how I behave so that I do not sin by my tongue. I will keep a muzzle on my mouth as long as any sinner is near.'
2 I stayed dumb, silent, speechless, but the sinner's prosperity redoubled my torment.
3 My heart had been smoldering within me, but at the thought of this it flared up and the words came bursting out,
4 'Yahweh, let me know my fate, how much longer I have to live. Show me just how frail I am.
5 'Look, you have given me but a hand's breadth or two of life, the length of my life is as nothing to you. Every human being that stands on earth is a mere puff of wind,
6 every human being that walks only a shadow; a mere puff of wind is the wealth stored away -- no knowing who will profit from it.'
7 So now, Lord, what am I to hope for? My hope is in you.
8 Save me from all my sins, do not make me the butt of fools.
9 I keep silence, I speak no more since you yourself have been at work.
10 Take your scourge away from me. I am worn out by the blows you deal me.
11 You correct human beings by punishing sin, like a moth you eat away all their desires -- a human being is a mere puff of wind.
12 Yahweh, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for help, do not remain deaf to my weeping. For I am a stranger in your house, a nomad like all my ancestors.
13 Turn away your gaze that I may breathe freely before I depart and am no more!

No comments: