Saturday, December 8, 2007

A Word to My Date

I want you to know… I truly wanted to take you to the Christmas party tonight because I thought it might be helpful in your quest to find another job. But if I’m being honest, I have to admit that I was really looking forward to spending time with you, regardless of the initial reason for extending the invitation. I was impressed with you before I ever really knew you. And I base that on the simple fact that I LOVE it that I see you at mass with your parents while I’m at mass with mine.

But in talking with you on the way to Bloomington and especially on the way home, I learned so much more about who you are. And I know that I can only work at being as good a Christian. I am SO impressed with the man you are. I find myself wanting to spend more time with you to learn more about how devout and true a man can be. But I feel like I’d be the only one benefiting from the encounter. (I imagine that's how people felt about Jesus.) I don’t ever want you to know all of my shortcomings. I don’t ever want to disappoint you. I just want to reflect your goodness...which of course comes from the light of Christ in your heart.

Maybe it’s because it’s late and I’m tired, but I am so emotionally overwhelmed by how much I fall short, how much I fail… even you… and you’re just a guy. (No offense.) It makes me wonder what GOD must think of me. You are the first person that has ever made me realize how much I must disappoint Him for not living up to my potential, His will for me. Whether you intended to or not, you spoke God's words to my heart tonight. And... I am ashamed. I thought I had come a long way on my spiritual journey. But God used you to help me realize that I still have a long way to go. I will begin that climb today.

And I thought I was doing YOU a favor. I love how God finds ways to speak to us. Thank you for the gift.

No comments: