Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

I usually write something with humor on Friday's.  But today, I decided to go with something a little more obvious.


Today is Black Friday.  I am not a fan.  Not sure where that name comes from...unless it's an indicator of the first day that the retail industry gets out of the red and into the black for the first time during the calendar year.


It slays me the way people get out in the middle of the night to shop.  And worse, how they compete and fight with each other over the best deals.  I saw online this morning that someone was killed at a Wal-Mart.  No idea if it's due to Black Friday shopping, but I assumed so.  How sad, to die Christmas shopping!
I can only imagine that the employees (the stockers, the greeters, the cashiers) aren't big fans of Black Friday.  But the management brings it on themselves.  They raise all kinds of hype and then hope for huge sales.  To them, the fact that people get hurt, get ugly, and even die is simply an unfortunate side effect.  It's all pretty crazy to me.  I choose not to shop on this day.

Instead, I slept in and had a late breakfast at the Corner Cafe.  I enjoyed a plate of biscuits and gravy...which is SO not good for my diet.  But I enjoyed it nonetheless.  I used the time to plan my day and journal.  I decided that I had lots to do today and plenty of time and energy to do it.  Thank You, Lord!



Lord, bless all those crazy shoppers and keep them safe and sane.  And especially bless all those people who chose not to feed into the frenzy of Black Friday.  But even more, Lord, bless all those in the world who would love to get a gift for someone they love, but they simply do not have the financial resources to do so.  Keep them warm and fed, safe and sound during this holiday season and throughout the year.  Amen.

No comments: