Tuesday, October 9, 2007

It's All About the Love

They say that time heals all wounds.

Uh-uh. No way. I have way too good a memory to forget things, especially things that hurt me to the core, simply because a few years have gone by. The words, the actions, the feelings are etched on my brain and in my heart. Time doesn't do anything to alleviate that...especially for those of us that have the memory of an elephant.

I think that the ability to accept the wrong-doing as just another experience that shapes who we are is the first step to healing. But that's all but insignificant compared to the forgiveness that hopefully follows. Releasing the person that injured you also releases you. Then and only then can one engage a healthy life.

All of that takes love. Love of a higher purpose. Love of oneself. Love of your fellow man. Love of peace. Love.

Love heals all wounds. God's love for us that we learn in order to know how to love others.

"Love is patient. Love is kind. It is not jealous. It is not boastful or conceited. It is never rude and never seeks its own advantage. It does not take offense or store up grievances. Love does not rejoice in wrong-doing, but finds its joy in the truth. It is always ready to make allowances, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

Lord, help me to be patient and kind. Show me when I am being jealous, boastful, or conceited. Soften my heart so as not to be rude or to take advantage of others. Teach me not to take offense or hold a grudge. Allow me to find joy in the truth and avoid rejoicing in wrong-doing. Help me to make allowances to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes. Help me to demonstrate Your love. Amen.

No comments: