Monday, October 1, 2007

It's Time for a Nap


I find that I am tired all the time. I know that I often don’t get enough sleep. I’m really a night owl and enjoy watching television late or reading until I can’t keep my eyes open any longer. And as I get older, I find myself waking up more often during the night. But at least I don’t struggle to get back to sleep like I have in the past. So, I usually blame my tiredness on that. But sometimes I wonder if it’s something more.

I’m sitting at my desk with plenty to do. It’s 10:30am on a Monday. I’ve been here for nearly 2 hours. Yet I feel I could curl up into a ball on the floor of my cubicle and sleep. Every time I close my eyes to think, to concentrate, I find myself wanting to nod off. I’m REALLY tired.

And it’s not like I ran and ran all weekend. In fact, I didn’t get nearly as much done as I wanted to/needed to. I slept in Saturday; I slept in Sunday. I even napped during the Colts game. And I LOVE to watch the Colts games. I just always feel like I’m trying to catch up on my sleep.

I read an article in a women’s magazine years ago about how you can never actually catch up on missed hours of sleep. The article suggested that any damage done to your mind, body, and soul by lack of sleep is already done. You can try to heal from that damage by sleeping more. But it’s a futile effort. It probably doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t reverse the damage. I don’t know how true any of that is. But frankly, today it just affirms my desire to take a nap right now.

No comments: