Sunday, October 28, 2007

Songs That Touch My Heart

Music really touches my heart. I know a lot of people feel that way. Poetry with a beautiful melody. It only makes sense that music would speak directly to the heart and soul of so many.

While driving for three hours last night, I was playing a recently purchased Nichole Nordeman CD. I had heard many of the songs before at various Christian retreats. But one in particular was new to me. "Why?"

That's not a question; that's the title of the song. The first verse is the mindset of a young girl speaking to her father. The second verse comes from the aspect of Jesus speaking to His Father. The third verse is God answering Jesus. Each verse drew me more and more into the song, into the story. By the end, I was sobbing.

This is not the first song that has had such an effect on me. "When God Ran" by Phillips, Craig and Dean is another song that completely moves me. It starts off with a few of the many names of God:

Almighty God, the great I AM, immovable Rock, omnipotent, powerful, awesome Lord, victorious Warrior, commanding King of Kings, mighty Conqueror.

And the only time – the only time I ever saw Him run…

Was when He ran to me!

The rest of the song talks about how we separate ourselves from God, but He always welcomes us back because He loves us so much. It's just beautiful.

Another song that does that for me is "I Can Only Imagine". The first time I heard it, it wasn't a Mercy Me song; it was an Amy Grant song. Because her version was the first for me, it's my favorite. Of course, I'd thought about getting to heaven before and I'd imagined what heaven must look like. But until I'd heard this song, I never actually thought about what I would do when standing face to face with God.

For each of these songs, when I first heard them, when they first got my attention, I played them over and over and over again. I wanted to learn the words and be able to sing them. I wanted to sing them in my heart whenever I needed them. But I found that I was moved not only by the words and the melody, but also by my inability to sing them because the meaning touched my heart so deeply. What an amazing gift!

No comments: