Monday, November 26, 2007

My Christmas Epiphany

While listening to the Christmas song “Welcome to our World” by Michael W. Smith, I was touched by the line

hope that you don’t mind our manger
how I wish we would have known
but long awaited holy stranger
make yourself at home

Even though it’s not stated specifically, it crossed my mind that our hearts are much like the manger all those many years ago. The manger was filthy and cold, unworthy of a King by any standard. It was offered to the Holy Family because there was no room at the Inn; there was no ‘decent’ place for Jesus.

I don’t know about you, but my heart is much like that manger. Sometimes cold. Sometimes filthy. Definitely no place for a King. Often I don’t make room for Him, keeping way too busy with other, less important things. Though I welcome Jesus in my heart, I really only think about Him when I need Him. I can definitely say that my heart is not always a ‘decent’ place for Him to dwell.

Thank God for Christmas, so I can refresh my heart and soul to welcome the Christ Child every year. Spring cleaning, if you will, for my spiritual home.

Take advantage of the Advent season so that your Christmas is filled with joy and peace.

No comments: