Wednesday, May 12, 2010

June Bug

I know I've mentioned my cat before, Linus Felinus. He's pretty much MIA, catting around the neighborhood and spending little, if any, time at my house. But never fear, I didn't have to go too awful long missing paw prints all over my black car.
Jeff and his girlfriend Lacey had a cat at college. They weren't supposed to have pets, but apparently lots of the kids did. Anyway, this particular cat is a long-haired female. She is black from nose to tail, except for a bit of gray on her underside. She has claws on all four corners and she's not all that discriminating about when she uses them. We don't know exactly how old she is, but we're guessing 3-4 years old.

Jeff and Lacey named her June. Apparently because her goldish-green/greenish-gold eyes reminded them of a summer evening. Awww, how romantic. June reminds me of Ward's wife on "Leave It to Beaver". So to me, it's much too matronly a name for this little black, ever-moving ball of fur. So, I call her June Bug...when I'm not calling her names.

She's really a pain in the butt. She knocks everything over. She's constantly clawing me...even when I'm sleeping. She even ticked off a skunk and now smells like one. And her favorite place to sleep outside (yes, she's living outside as long as she smells like a skunk) is in a bed of weeds that leaves burrs in her fur...and she doesn't know how to remove them!

Yesterday when I left for work, she was talking up a storm. I couldn't see her and kept trying to get her to come to me. I wanted to know exactly where she was before I backed the car out of the carport. She never came. So, I started to walk around the car and found her...on the roof! I wasn't feeling all that well, not to mention I was running late. So, I left her up there, thinking she'd come down when she was ready. I don't know if she was STILL up there or if she was up there AGAIN, but when I got home 12 hours later, there she was...on the roof.

I tried to get her to jump down to me. But she wasn't at all interested in that plan. I really didn't want to have to go up after her. So, I 'walked' her to a tree. As I walked around the house, she followed me...from above. Once we got to the tree, I encouraged her as she made her way down to the ground. She seemed pretty relieved to be back at sea level. She then clung to my legs, trying to rub her body all over me to show her appreciation. Little did she know, she was nearly knocking me down!

Not sure if she'll venture up that high again. But now that I know I don't have to climb up after her, makes no difference to me if she wants to hang out up there. Honestly, the happier she is on the OUTSIDE of the house, the happier I am on the INSIDE of the house.

I wonder when Jeff is going to take her to live with him.

No comments: