Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Relay for Life


It's that time of year again when we start planning for Relay.  Only this year, I am the Team Development Chair.  That's HUGE for me.  I'm a bit nervous.  No, I'm REALLY nervous.  And I'm not accustomed to being nervous.

I don't worry about singing into a microphone.  I have no qualms about speaking in front of a crowd.  I am the opposite of shy and timid.  And I've rarely struggled to find something to say in just about any situation.

But in this role, I have to motivate others.  I'll lead the meetings and keep everyone on track.  I need to find new teams.  I'm not so worried about finding new teams.  We've had LOTS of teams in the past.  We just need to tap into some of those sources again.  I'll start doing that this weekend...calling area churches and businesses, calling family members of cancer survivors.

My real concern is whether or not I can stay on top of this and keep the energy high.  This role is a balance between providing information and being enthusiastic.  I can do this.  I can DO this.  I can TOTALLY DO THIS!  I just need to stay focused.  And pray.

God, bless this event.  Everything from the kick-off tomorrow night, through every meeting and every phone call, all the way until we've turned in every donation and taken down every tent and honored and celebrated every survivor we've known.  With You, we can do anything.  With Your blessing, we will continue to fight this fight and honoring You in our efforts.  In Your most precious Name.  Amen.

No comments: