Tuesday, April 2, 2013

On the Road Again

Last year, I started running and walking for fitness.  And I was surprised to find that I loved it.  No exaggeration -- I was 235 lbs when I started out, yet I found that I could run.  And I ran/walked regularly...and ultimately lost 27 lbs in four months!

Then I hurt my foot.  I had a bursa sack on the bottom of my left heel.  The doctor treated it by giving me a couple of shots directly into my heel and told me to stay off of it for six weeks.  I got busy (and lazy) and the weather started to cool down...and well, six weeks turned into six months.

I'm ashamed to say that I gained every last one of those 27 lbs back.

But yesterday, I put on my running shoes!  There is a group of women (actually, there are probably a few groups of women, but there's this one group of women in particular) that I run/walk with.  They meet at one of a few locations every Monday and Wednesday and run/walk a 5k course.  It allows us to get used to that distance for when we sign up to run an official 5k.

I've been doing my Les Mills Pump (weights) and Les Mills Combat (martial arts/cardio) for several weeks now...inconsistently.  So I'm not starting at ground zero.  But still, yesterday was my first day running again.

And it felt GREAT!  I was out there for 46 minutes and had three really good running stints in there.  I forgot to set my FitBit, so I don't know exactly how far I ran.  The course is 3.1 miles if I would have done it all, but I only did three laps instead of four for this one particular part of the course.  Nevertheless, I'm confident that I did more than two miles.  We're doing it again tomorrow and I'll remember to set my FitBit, so I'll know exactly how far I've gone.

At any rate, in 46 minutes, I burned 420 calories and felt really good about the workout.  I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's run/walk with the girls...and I'm seriously considering getting another run/walk in by myself tonight...between my chiropractor appointment and the girls' softball game.

I may not look like it yet, but I AM a runner!

No comments: