Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Old Ticker

So I know I talk/write about my challenges with depression regularly.  But it's not the only health concern I have.

I've been taking medication for high blood pressure for a couple of years now.  And its done it's job perfectly.  But lately I've had issues with an elevated heart rate.

It was brought to my attention on August 13th when my heart rate was too high to donate blood.  It was up to 118 that day.

So I started recording my blood pressure and heart rate shortly thereafter.  I have a cuff that fits around my left wrist and makes it easy for me to use.  My heart rate for the last (nearly) two months has averaged 102.6.

Do you know what they call a heart rate that's hit 100bpm?  Tachycardia.  I'm pretty sure I've only heard that word on shows like "ER" and "Grey's Anatomy".  Well I guess it could be used to describe my heart rate.

I'm sure it's related to my bad fitness level and the fact that I'm grossly overweight.  And I'm sure that's where my doctor will start my treatment plan... as well he should.  That doesn't mean I'm looking forward to it.  It's definitely not something I can fix overnight.

I was encouraged to make an appointment with my family doctor by my gynecologist who I saw Monday morning.  My blood pressure and heart rate were high at that appointment.  He asked what my primary care provider was doing about it.  I told him that I hadn't yet told him about the racing heart rate.  He suggested that I do so... and soon.

So I had an appointment this morning.  I ended up being there for two hours.  His primary concern was that it might be my anti-depressants.  And sure enough, after doing a bit of research, he was convinced.  But just to be on the safe side, we did blood work and an EKG.

He didn't like the T-waves on my EKG, saying that they could lead to an arrhythmia.  I've already received my initial blood work results.  I had six indicators that were out of normal range.  But I don't know how concerning they are.  All I really know is I have an appointment with the psychiatrist tomorrow to discuss possibly changing or adjusting my meds.  And I have an appointment on Monday with a cardiologist.

So I'll know more in a week.  I'm looking forward to seeing Dr. Callaghan tomorrow.  She's a great psychiatrist.  But I'm a little nervous about mucking with my meds.  Right now, my depressive episodes are farther apart and don't last as long.  And transitioning from one set of meds to another was fairly painful the last time I had to do it.  But my primary care provider is convinced that my problem is being caused by my meds.  He just wants the psychiatrist and cardiologist to weigh in with any concerns.  So like I said, we'll know more in a week.

No comments: