Thursday, May 29, 2008

Project Management 101


On May 1st, I started a Project Management class through SAIC. I had to complete all requirements in 42 days and pass the final. Today, Day 29, I finished the course.

So, now I can tell you what a critical path is. I know what a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) is and how to create one. I know what the Triple Constraint is and how important it is to balance all three parts of it. I understand the importance of risk analysis, having a quality plan, a procurement plan, and a communication plan. I know formulas for determining if a project is ahead of schedule and under budget OR behind schedule and over budget. I also learned a few tricks for estimating cost, personnel resources, and schedule.

Most importantly, I learned why my current project has been such a challenge to manage. With some of the tools I've learned in the last month, I know I could have been a much more successful project manager. I'm almost looking forward to my next project. Almost.

No comments: