Friday, September 11, 2009

IT'S PATRIOT DAY!

Today is Patriot Day. The anniversary of the 9-11 attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and one "lucky" plane that didn't reach it's planned destination.

Today is the day that we honor our civil heroes...the firemen, the policemen, the emergency medical teams...and the average Joe's that step in when needed, just to do the right thing...the volunteers.

It's hard to believe that it's been eight years. EIGHT! Eight years of recovering and healing and moving on. Eight years of security enhancements at our airports and military installations...and even our not-so-military installations. Eight years of "We will never forget..."

But I think people are forgetting.

I know it's not Christmas. And I realize that it's difficult to reflect on a day that holds such sadness for our country. And I know it's still early in the day...but I haven't heard one person mention Patriot Day or the 9-11 anniversary even once today. I don't see obvious signs of red, white, and blue and yellow ribbons and T-shirts that memorialize that fateful day. I heard no reminder on the radio on my way in to work. And the only mention of it on my MSN.com homepage is an editorial on what it's like being a kid in the post-9-11 era.

It's Patriot Day, people! A day of remembrance and perhaps some sadness, yet. But also a day of celebration! We have so much to celebrate. This country's ability to unite and rise above and build up and bounce back and move on and persevere through.

Remember...

...and celebrate!

No comments: