Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Workin' for the Weekend

I know it's been some time, nearly a week, since I last blogged. But I've been a busy girl. And when I'm not busy, I'm tired. And when I'm not busy or tired, I still can't blog because I'm having phone line issues at my house. (So, if you're my FB friend, that's why my crops are withered and my fish are dead.)
I work in the Comptroller Department. And we're coming up on the end of our fiscal year. You'd be amazed by how many numbers out there that need to balance. So, I've worked the last three Saturday's. (Lucky me, I've been off every Sunday.) And it's not like I'm working 18-hour days or anything. But I'm not getting to sleep in. And anyone who knows me, knows how much I love to sleep in on my weekends. Well, by working Saturday's and going to church Sunday mornings, I'm not getting to sleep in EVER. And I am REALLY missing it!

Tomorrow is officially the last day of the fiscal year. I've heard a couple of people talk about bringing in more comfortable clothes for the later hours of the evening/night. I asked my boss how late she wanted/needed me to stay. The message I understood in her reply was, 'Be flexible.' So, I honestly don't know how late I'll be working tomorrow. I could be out of here by dark. Or I could be here until midnight. No way to know at this point.

I also asked what our schedule would be like for the first week of October. Again, no specific guidance there. Could be normal days, could be long days. This is my first year in the Comptroller Department, so I have no idea. And those that have some experience with this time of year in this department, aren't willing to put in their bets. Suffice it to say, I have no idea how many hours I'm working this week.

That's okay with me though. Except for being ready to jump into my MK business with abandon and singing at mass this Sunday morning, I don't have much going on in my world.

...except that I need to get my phone fixed. Jeff noticed last weekend when he was home that our phone didn't have a dial tone. I rarely use that phone, so I didn't even notice. It's a cheap wal-mart phone; I figured it had just hit the end of its life-cycle. I planned to get a new cheap wal-mart phone the next time I headed that way (which will be well after this fiscal year scheduling is in the past). Then I didn't think about it again...until I had no internet this past weekend. It crossed my mind that perhaps my 'phone' issue is really a 'phone line' issue.

So, this is what I have to do. I need to take my phone outside and plug it into this little gray box that's hanging off the side of my house. If I have service there, that means the problem is INSIDE the house and MY problem to solve. We're hoping that's NOT the case. If I DON'T have service there, that means the problem is OUTSIDE the house and Verizon will look into it. BUT the little gray box that's hanging off the side of my house requires a 3/8" socket so that I can remove the bolt that serves as a lock, protecting the phone jack inside. I thought for sure I had such a tool, but nothing I had fit. So, I'll address it again tonight.

Again...let's pray together now...we do NOT want to have phone service from the little gray box hanging off the side of my house so that Verizon can come out and work their magic, making both my phone and my lovely internet connection functional again. THANKS!

No comments: