Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Food

I am Leslie and I have an unhealthy relationship with food.

[Hi, Leslie!]

It's not the only unhealthy relationship I've ever had...and it probably won't be the last. But it's the unhealthy relationship I'm living with right now.

I thought that by having less food in my house, I'd be less likely to over-eat. But that just entices me to eat fast-food.

I thought that if I kept busy doing other things, I wouldn't have nearly as much opportunity to eat. But I've learned that I have a talent for eating while doing just about anything. (I am amazing. Write it down.)

I thought that if I worked out more often, I wouldn't have to worry about what I was eating. And that may still be true...but I'm not nearly as diligent about working out as I am careless about eating. So, that theory still needs to be adequately tested.

I even put a bible verse on my refrigerator: "Whatever you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31 I thought that the Word of God might sway me to think twice before eating a whole tub of strawberry ice cream. But not so much. There's another bible verse about one's body being a temple for the Holy Spirit and should be treated as such. Maybe if I find that one, it'll be a more effective deterrent.

One of my friends told me that I need to have three food-related rules. Apparently these helped her during her 'reprogramming' period.

  1. Absolutely NO food after 6pm. It's really bad for the metabolism as you sleep and can even prevent you from sleeping well.
  2. NEVER eat while doing something else. Mealtime is for eating...not working or watching television or driving or whatever else. So, if you're doing something else, you have to stop what you're doing in order to eat.
  3. Always leave something on your plate. The portions that we choose for ourselves are often too large...so don't be afraid to leave some of it on the plate. She went as far as to say that when she goes out to dinner, she asks for a box shortly after her meal arrives...and puts HALF of her meal into the box as soon as possible.

I always say, "You have to find something you're good at and stick with it." Well, I'm good at eating and it's definitely stuck with me. I just need to find something ELSE that I'm good at, something I enjoy MORE than eating. Hopefully that something isn't worse for me than food.