Sunday, January 9, 2011

No Songbird Here

I was supposed to sing at mass this morning. I went to Lynn's (the organist) to practice on Friday. I still wasn't back to my normal singing voice, but I was TONS more improved than Christmas. We chose the songs and were fairly confident that it would go well.
But yesterday, while at our Mary Kay January Jumpstart Training at the Primo in Plainfield, my voice gradually degraded as the day wore on. I woke up with a sore throat and a headache. Except for the scratchy throat and an annoying dry cough, I felt fine. But it became evident to me by mid-afternoon, that there was no way I was going to be able to sing at the 10am mass Sunday.

So, I got a sub. Thank you, Gianna!

I'm so tired of being sick. I don't know exactly when this started, but it has to be at least a month ago. There were two full days a week before Christmas where I had no voice at all. None. No volume whatsoever. You can hear my voice today, but it's not pretty. It's not even sexy. I sound like a gravelly old woman.

In the last month, I have finished off two boxes of Nyquil/Dayquil, one bottle of Mucinex DM, one box of Alka Seltzer Cold and Flu (the plop-plop-fizz-fizz stuff), a handful of Zycam chews that a friend swore by, one box of Tylenol Cold and Flu, and two bags of Halls Triple Soothing Action Cough Drops...in cherry. I'm running out of ideas on how to whip this once and for all.

And I can't sing! I hate that. My eyes are all watery. I hate that too. Makes putting on mascara futile. I'm not sleeping well due to the cough. That's no fun either.

On the positive side, my stomach muscles (what there are of them) are getting a bit of a workout with all the coughing. Once I drop the spare tire, I should have washboard abs.

No comments: