Thursday, July 3, 2008

Fireworks in Amish Country

It's July 3rd, the night of our local fireworks display. Every year, we go to my aunt and uncle's who live across the lake from the festivities. We sit on their deck and watch the fireworks over the lake. It's absolutely beautiful. I truly enjoy spending time with family too.

This year, we had rain late in the afternoon. I questioned whether or not they would even have the event. But they did. It was really humid and hazy. As a result, the fireworks didn't go nearly as high in the sky. Also, the smoke created by the fireworks hung in the air, making them more and more difficult to see as the evening wore on. It was a little unusual. I'd never seen anything like that before.

My aunt and uncle live near a large Amish community. Because of that, several Amish families come out to see the fireworks...in my aunt and uncle's yard. Well, in MANY of the yards surrounding the lake, that is. As we're sitting up on the deck and on the lawn near the house, strangers are milling through the yard and taking their seats near the waterline.

The Amish are a very peaceful and friendly people, so it's not that we're disconcerted with their presence. We share this event with them every year and will continue to do so in years to come, I'm sure. But what always baffles me is the fact that they set off fireworks in my aunt and uncle's yard. Not just sparklers and firecrackers, but things that whistle and fly through the air and make lots of noise. To me, it's dangerous, leaves a mess, and is wholly inconsiderate. But no one ever asks them to stop, so they continue to do it ever year.

No one in our family sets off fireworks. We've done sparklers in the past. But with the kids being so young, we normally leave the pyrotechnics to the professionals...and the uninvited guests. We just do what we can to keep the little kids close to the house and out of harm's way.

This year as I was leaving my aunt and uncle's house, I saw two buggies all decorated with lights. It was like Christmas. Red, blue, and yellow flashing lights. They also had glow-in-the-dark things on the spokes of their wheels. Very festive. I'm pretty sure it's all for safety reasons, so that they're easily seen on the roads. Nevertheless, it seems so anti-Amish. They normally avoid anything decorative or flashy. So, the dichotomy made me smile.

No comments: