Saturday, July 5, 2008

OMG! I can't breathe!

I got the most unsettling news today. I was minding my own business, watching a movie on a Saturday afternoon. Then in walks my teenage son. He told me that one of his former girlfriends is due next week. As in, having a baby. My jaw just dropped to the floor.

He got a new phone. Somehow she got his number. So she text'd him the news.

First, I have to make it clear, the baby is in no way related to me. Thank God!

Second, if I remember correctly, this girl is a year younger than J. So, we're talking 16 years old. She's an honor roll student, an amazing athlete, and a pretty good kid.

Lastly, I KNOW it crossed my son's mind that one of his ex-girlfriends has had sex but not with him. And let me tell you how much that scares the breath right out of my lungs!

I asked J what he thought about her being pregnant. He said it was too overwhelming to think about. I asked him a couple of other questions, but he said he didn't know any further information because it was just awkward discussing it with her.

I didn't know exactly what to say to him as I was still somewhat in shock myself. But I told him that I did NOT want him to be a teenage father. He told me not to worry about it. But I assure you, I do.

Lord, protect our teenagers. Be with them and guide them every day in all they do. Help them make good, moral, Christian decisions. Amen.

No comments: