Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Whole New Attitude

Yesterday, I worked 9 1/2 hours. Today, I worked more than 10. Tomorrow, I'm planning to work another 10. But anyone will tell you that my whole attitude this week (and last) has been immensely improved compared to a couple of weeks ago.

The reason is simple. I've accepted a new position. I'll still be an SAIC employee at Crane. But I'll be working in a different department. Currently, I do customer support and system analyst functions. I enjoy providing customer support; I hate doing analysis work. I just don't feel all that confident, comfortable, or competent with it.

But next week, I'll be administering a couple of applications, providing customer support, and helping to prepare data for conversion to ERP. But this time, I'll have only one customer site instead of 13. So, I'll be doing work that I love and feel comfortable with. I get to start with things I'm actually good at. And it still leaves me room to grow.

Initially, I stressed over the decision to stay in my current position or apply for a new position. Then I struggled with whether or not I truly wanted to accept the position. I didn't want to abandon my current project or the customers. I didn't want to leave my team holding the bag. But I also didn't want to keep stressing over my job and not sleeping well

Ultimately, I said yes to the new position. And today, I am so thrilled and excited about this opportunity. Ever since I committed to the decision, I've been so much more at peace.

So, the long hours this week are to allow me to get everything prepared for those doing the job after me. And let me tell you, it's well worth it.