Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What do you want for Christmas?

Today at work, we had our Christmas Goody Day. Everyone brings in their favorite holiday favorite, some sweet, some not so sweet. Then we graze for hours.

It was really nice. The decorations were beautiful. The Christmas music was the perfect backdrop for our get-together. And the food was yummy!

While we were sitting down eating together during lunch, I asked some of the guys sitting with me what they wanted for Christmas. I have to say, I got some unexpected responses.

Dave looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. He laughed out loud. Then he stopped long enough to say, "I don't know. I hadn't really thought about it." I'm like, "It's December 3rd! No one has asked you what you want for Christmas yet?" He said that he hasn't been asked that question in a really long time

Huh... really. So, I went about asking others.

Vic said that he didn't know what he wanted. Finally, he said, "World peace." Okay, Miss America. I'm sure that will probably fit into your stocking.

JR was the first to give me the kind of answer I expected. He said that there's a toolbox he's had his eye on for awhile. Then he followed it up with, but I'll probably have to get it for myself.

I asked Randy what he wanted for Christmas. He didn't tell me what he 'wanted'; he told me what he 'needed'. Four tires for his truck. I asked him if he'd mentioned it to anyone that might give him Christmas presents? He just smiled at me. I wasn't sure if he didn't hear me or if he didn't want to have to say, 'No.'

John said that he wants a pardon. He might need it after he deals with his teenager for his latest antics. Well, I can totally relate to dealing with an uncooperative teenager. But unless you're tight with the governor, you're going to have to expand your Christmas list.

Jeff said that he wanted a boatload of mistletoe. Now THERE'S an honest answer! The man wants some quality time with his honey.

Still, I was really surprised at how many of them hadn't thought about what they wanted for Christmas. I'm guessing that no one had asked them prior to my asking them. I remember when I was little, EVERYONE talked about what they wanted for Christmas. Santa always asked us what we wanted. Our parents asked us. We even wrote one-page papers for English class on what we wanted for Christmas. Today, every other commercial on television is telling US what we want. In our house, we hardly get through Thanksgiving...no, Halloween...before Jeff gives me his Christmas list.

So, here's my challenge to you. If you haven't thought about it yet, decide what you want for Christmas. I don't care if there's no chance that you'll get it. I just think we should all take just a moment to think about Santa giving us our wildest dreams. We used to. In a simpler time. Why not go back and live in those moments for awhile?

What do I want? A kiss (not the chocolate kind this year), a clean house (that I didn't have to clean myself), and an apology (from my least favorite LHS administrator...or the opportunity to slap him. Okay, Santa would not be happy with me; I get that.) Oh! What I really want is for Linus to come home. He's been gone for a week now.

Am I going to get any of that? I might get kissed; it's hard to tell. Unlikely, but possible. My house will only get cleaned by someone else if I pay them to do it. Which I may. : ) And that apology? Yeah, about as likely as the slap. As for Linus, unfortunately I have a feeling that he is no longer with us. Whether or not I get anything on my Christmas list is not going to dictate how blessed I feel during my most favorite time of the year. But still, it's nice to have wishes.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am getting exactly what I want.. Christmas in a cabin where we are eating only things from a crock pot!

feather k said...

welcome to SITS!