Sunday, March 30, 2008

What I'm Reading

Writing Down the Bones - Feeling the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg.

I got it for Christmas from my nephew and God-son, Cameron. I'm sure he picked it out himself.

I started reading it just after I got it, but got distracted by other things. So, I picked it up again last night after taking Jeff back to Kentucky. It's an easy read. And it's humorous while still being informative. I like that. Not to mention, I needed something light and positive after my three hour drive, half of which I spent with a brooding teen.

Jeff had not been in a good mood all day and seemed to resist the prospect of heading back to his dad's. I don't blame him, but I didn't enjoy getting the brunt of his attitude.

I've really been slacking on my writing lately. I'm just so worn down after work. Or I'm simply in no mood to write. It's easier for me to write about the mood that I'm actually feeling. Since none of the characters in my books is dealing with 'the office' like I am, I've been avoiding writing. I need to learn to remove myself from my world and put myself into the character's mindset. Wow, killing two birds with one stone... I get to be in a different mindset AND I get writing done. I REALLY need to work on that.

At any rate, I figure one way for me to get back to writing more regularly would be to focus on writing in other mediums. If I'm not going to write myself, I'll read all about it. I actually have several books about writing. So, when I finish this one, I'll move on to the next one.

I'll write again. I have to. How else will I ever mark that item off my bucket list?

No comments: