Monday, March 31, 2008

I Hate Monday's

Okay, it's official. I hate Monday's. I don't even want to go into all the details as to why. Just believe me when I say, I hate Monday's. I just do. I've had four in a row that have been utterly frustrating. I'm even starting to equate Monday and 'pain in the butt'. Case in point: my cat was nagging me about wanting his dinner tonight when I got home late. I told him to stop being such a Monday. He didn't get it...as if he's understood anything else I've ever said to him.

I have a favorite bible verse (one of many) that I printed out and taped to the edge of my computer monitor at work so that I can read it SEVERAL times a day.

Philippians 4:6 - Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Sometimes it truly calms and centers me...at least temporarily. Sometimes, my phone rings when I'm only half way through it, which completely negates any positive feeling I might have gotten by praying it. You know what that means? That means that I'm not actually praying; I'm pleading. And that means that I'm not trusting.


I need to find a way to let go of all the frustration. I can only do what I can do. And I KNOW that stressing over it doesn't fix it. Nevertheless, I'm curious to know what my blood pressure is around 2:30 PM on a Monday compared to say, now. I am NOT a stupid woman. Why can't I figure this out? (Holy cow, just typing that sentence brought tears to my eyes!)

Frustration is the emotional reaction that occurs when a person is prevented from reaching their goals. It's a feeling of annoyance at being obstructed or hindered. Frustration always leads to defeat, because it wastes precious time and energy, which otherwise could have been used in other, more constructive and creative efforts.

Response to frustration - ask yourself the following questions:

  1. Do I have any influence over the situation? If not, LET IT GO. Stop wasting time and energy. If I do have influence over the situation, address item 2.
  2. How much energy will I need to exert to modify the situation? Everything I do requires energy, and I only have so much of it. I can choose to use my energy to be productive or put it into reserve and rest. If the energy it would take to change the situation isn’t worth my time, then it isn’t worthy of my time and energy to be frustrated about. If I do decide it's worth changing the situation, effect change by addressing item 3.
  3. Follow through and work towards change. This is the easy part. But I have to keep in mind that I have to actually exert the energy until one of two things happens: (a) the situation changes, or (b) I decide that exerting the energy is no longer worth it, and re-evaluate item 2.

Sounds easy. But I still get hung up on item 1, the LET IT GO part. A friend of mine also suggested to me that I offer it up. I'm not sure that I can adequately pull that one off either. So, that's my new prayer. Lord, help me to offer it up and then let it go. Only with Your strength, can I hope to find peace in this situation, but only if it be Your will. In Your most holy Name. Amen.

No comments: