Saturday, August 22, 2009

48 Hours

Jeff called me today. Several times apparently. I slept much of the day and missed the two messages he left on my cell phone and the one message he left on my answering machine. I haven't checked my voicemail at work yet, but it's possible he left a message there too.

When he was here, I NEVER heard from him. He's been gone all of 48 hours and I already have three messages from him. Go figure! At any rate, I returned his call.

First, he wanted to tell me that he's LOVING college. I was so glad to hear that. His roommates are cool. He and Gage have stocked the fridge and should be good on food for weeks. (uh-huh, yeah right...lol) They've met so many kids and he says that everyone in their lodge is so cool. I'm thrilled that he's settling in so well.

Let's hope the same is true once he actually starts classes.

Second, he asked for money. I knew it would happen. And I was kind of betting with myself how long it would be before he asked. Now I know...about 48 hours. I asked him if this was going to be a regular occurrence. He promised it would just be the first week. I just had to smile.

He mentioned that they went to a fraternity party. Great, his first fraternity party. He was really impressed with a lot of the guys he met there and the networking they do. So, he's considering pledging. Pi Kappa Alpha, I think. But don't hold me to that. It's not a fraternity house; these kids still live in the dorms. So, it's more like a club that meets weekly, helps each other out in and out of school, and does good things for the campus and the community. Jeff was really stoked about it. The best part to me? He has to maintain a specific GPA in order to be a member of the fraternity. I like that!

He said he's going to call me again Monday night to let me know how his first day of classes went. Monday and Wednesday are LONG days for him. Four classes, the first one starting at 8am; the last one ending at 7:15pm. Tuesday, he has NOTHING. Thursday, he only has his Chem lab all afternoon. Friday, he only has an hour and 15 minutes of Chemistry.

I have to say, I always enjoyed school. But of all the classes that I took, I liked my science classes the least...outside of my computer classes. Biology was okay, I guess. But I struggled with Chem I; I practically failed Chem II. I haven't taken a natural sciences class since my junior year in high school. Jeff, on the other hand, has Chemistry four out of five days a week for his first semester of college. Yuck! Better him than me, that's all I have to say!

No comments: