Sunday, November 16, 2008

Prayers from the Catholic Mass

Today while at church, I decided that I wanted to share a couple of the components of our mass on my blog. They are short prayers that really move my heart.

The first is called the Confiteor. I have to admit, I wasn't at all familiar with that word until I looked it up on the internet. To me, it's simply a prayer that we often say near the beginning of the mass to help prepare our hearts and minds for the Word of God. It is prayed by the entire congregation, heads bowed.

I confess to Almighty God,
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned through my own fault,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and what I have failed to do;
and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.


The second prayer is much later in the mass and is only prayed by the priest. The Lord's Prayer is either recited or sung at every Catholic mass. But near the end, the priest says a short prayer, then we resume the Lord's Prayer. Some of my non-Catholic friends ask why we do that. Except to say that the mass has traditionally included prayers in the form of doxologies (praises to God at the end of standard prayers), I don't really know why we do that. But I have to say, this is one of my favorite prayers during the mass. I hope we don't lose it.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.

Deliver us, Lord, from every evil
and grant us peace in our day.
In Your mercy, keep us free from sin
and protect us from all anxiety
as we wait in joyful hope
for the coming our Saviour Jesus Christ.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and ever. Amen.

No comments: