Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year 2009

It's January 1, 2009. Maybe it's because I work for the government and we've been referring to FISCAL year '09 for three months. But I just don't think the turn of a new year is all that big of a deal.

Sure, we get the day off work. We have to change our calendars. We have to get used to putting a new year on every check that we write.

It's even a holy day of obligation in the Catholic church.

But really, it's just another day. It's not like we're celebrating our freedom or a victory over something. We're not commemorating or memorializing anyone or anything. We simply take advantage of another opportunity to party.

Earlier today, I watched a montage on one of the news channels that showed a 10-15 second snippet of several cities celebrating the last moments of '08 and the first moments of '09. Fireworks, people cheering and clapping, toasts being made, everyone kissing someone, confetti, ooooh's and aaaah's and wow's in several different languages.

All because the second hand went past the 12.

Sometimes I think we are a strange people.
At any rate, I hope everyone has a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Happy Saturday to you. I'm from SITS -- found you today on the roll call.

Happy New Year!

Lori said...

Happy New Year! Clean slate. We get to be who we want to be. I wanna be Paula Dean. . lol. Stopping by through SITS.

Jan Holt said...

I hope this New Year is a great one for you. As you say in your blog, the exact time a New Year happens isn't important. But the choices we make in this moment and each successive moment are actually vital... they are life. I hope each of your moments are filled with health, joy, and good memories.

Thanks for visiting me too!

Andrea said...

Hey, just stopped by from SITS. I totally agree about New Year's. :)