The Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) will be signed into law if Congress passes it on January 21-22, 2009. The FOCA is the next sick chapter in the book of abortion. If signed into law, all limitations on abortion will be lifted, resulting in the following:
- ALL hospitals, including Catholic hospitals, will be required to perform abortions upon request. If this happens, Bishops vow to close down all Catholic hospitals - more than 30% of all hospitals in the U.S.
- Partial birth abortions will be legal and have NO limitations.
- All U.S. taxpayers will be funding abortions.
- Parental notification of abortions on minors will no longer be required (regardless of age).
- The estimated number of increase in abortions is 100,000 annually.
Needless to say this information is disturbing, but sadly true. As Catholics, as Christians, as anyone who is against the needless killing of innocent children, we must stand as one. We must stop this horrific act before it becomes a law.
If these petitions become fully law, the U.S. Bishops have threatened to shut down All Catholic hospitals in America – roughly 30% of hospitals. Think of the negative impact this would have on health care in our country! Think of the negative impact this would have on our economy!
PLEASE JOIN US in saying a novena (nine days of prayer) and fasting from January 11-19. For Catholics, the prayer of choice is the rosary for the special intention of stopping the FOCA. For non-Catholics we encourage you to pray your strongest prayers with the same intention for nine consecutive days. We hope and pray this will branch and blossom to become a global effort.
Please do the following 3 things:
- Pass this letter to 5 or more people as soon as possible (so as many as possible can start praying on January 11).
- Say a novena from January 11-19, asking God to prevent the FOCA from becoming law in the U.S.
- Fast at least 2 days during this novena (either a complete fast of bread and water or a Lenten fast of no meat and meals limited to one regular meal and two lesser meals during the day).
What else can we do besides pray and fast?
- Encourage your church leaders to include prayers of petition regarding this issue in their general worship gatherings daily/weekly.
- Write your congressman and express your concern. If you do not know how to contact your congressman, links are given below to help you find out.
- Learn how to explain the pro-life position with respect and love for all. Learn the issues.
- Visit the websites of front-line organizations who are leading the fight for respect and dignity for all life. listed below. Note:photos and videos at pro life.com website are very graphic.
- Participate in the National Pro-Life Postcard to Congress campaign being sponsored by the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops.See the link below.
- Seek out local pro-life groups or efforts.
- National Right to Life Committee - www.nrlc.org
- Priests for Life - www.priestsforlife.org
- United States Catholic Conference of Bishops - http://www.usccb.org/prolife/issues/FOCA/
- Pro-Life - www.prolife.com
- Life News - www.lifenews.com
How do I contact my Congressmen and Representatives?
The following is a link to a page where you can locate information about your representatives and with direct links to their websites.