Thursday, January 8, 2009

What I'm Writing

I've never done this, but I'm going to blog about what I'm writing.

Not only does this book not have an ending, it doesn't have a title. So feel free to offer suggestions.

There are three primary characters. Right now, I'm referring to them as seasons. It helps me to keep them straight and to give them their own personalities.

"Winter" is a single parent to a teenage son, in her late 30's. She works hard doing computer support and travels consistently for work. She's been divorced since her son was very young and has never seriously considered remarrying. So, she's had to learn to balance her career, parenting, AND the household budget. Unsurprisingly, she struggles with at least one of those chores at all times. Her son is a challenge at best and she regularly feels like a failure as a parent. Much like the season, "Winter" is cold, hard, and bitter. She's not a horrible person, she's just worn down and burned out. This woman needs a vacation and a serious attitude adjustment.

"Autumn" is also in her late 30's and works as an administrator. She has never been married and doesn't have children. But she desperately wants both. She feels like time is getting away from her to make either of those things happen. But she so longs for her own family. When "Winter" is venting about her son, "Autumn" craves even THAT contentious relationship. Anything to know the feeling of motherhood. She is everyone's favorite aunt and babysitter. She is so good with children. And secretly she has to admit that she's considered alternatives to starting her own family (single-parent adoption, science, etc.) But that's not what she wants. She wants the fairy tale. She wants to find the man of her dreams, make babies, and enjoy life in a house full of kids. Much like the season, "Autumn" is so many people's favorite. She's friendly, and easy to be around, never met a stranger in her life. She's comfortable and stable and secure with who she is. But she wants more.

"Summer" is in her mid-30's and works in marketing and advertising. She's never been married, but is engaged to her best friend. She's at the point in her life where she can afford to have the wedding of her dreams, so she's going to. She's a little more material than her friends, always the fashion plate, every hair in place, wouldn't dream of leaving the house without her make-up. But she's also bubbly and fun. Right now, her entire life is all about planning the perfect wedding. Much like the season, "Summer" is fresh and bright. She's just a little sprite, beautiful and bouncy.

These three women work together and are great friends. They get together after work every other Friday for their Girls' Night Out (GNO on their calendars). They share everything... laughter and tears, hopes and fears, dreams and nightmares. And sometimes, they get brutally honest with each other, even when it hurts.


So, picture this:
  • "Winter" is constantly fighting her out-of-control teenager. Of course she loves him, but she also looks forward to the weekends that he's at his dad's. Otherwise, she's driven to do her job very well, sometimes at the expense of everything else...including her son.
  • At this point in her life, "Summer" can think of nothing but planning her wedding and starting her life with her soul-mate.
  • "Autumn" often finds herself in the middle, trying not to be jealous of her friends, while trying to relate to their frustrations and celebrations...wondering if they ever consider her place in life.
As the wedding plans are coming together, "Summer" gets pregnant. She has all but decided that she WILL NOT be six months pregnant and sporting a baby bump in her Vera Wang bridal gown. "Autumn", who has felt the loss of every child she has had to hand back to its mother, pleads with "Summer" to protect this life. "Summer" starts to see "Autumn's" true heart with respect to motherhood and finds herself falling in love with her unborn child, appreciating this miracle of life. But in a very tragic turn of events, "Summer" loses her baby, completely devastating her. And the only person that can console her is "Autumn".

That's as far as I've gotten. I know I need to include "Winter" in more of this story. But I'm not sure exactly where she fits in. She will...somehow. And I'm not sure where to take the story from here. 'Chick Lit' (drama for women) has to have a happy ending. But I'm not sure how to adequately overcome the tragedy of the loss of "Summer's" baby. So, I've considered pulling that facet of the story. But I think it belongs, so I'm a little torn.

So, I've been playing with a few ideas for endings. (That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if you read yesterday's post.) Nothing is hitting me as the right direction yet. But it'll come to me...hopefully soon. Until then, I've been editing the chapters that I are already written, getting to know my characters a little more, adding a little humor, 'painting' the scenery a bit to allow the reader to 'see' the story.

That's one of three books that I'm somewhere in the middle of. But it's the one that's getting most of my time right now. I love it and really want to finish it. I have probably 8-10 books that I've started, but never finished. But they don't all hold the same interest for me.

No comments: