Friday, January 16, 2009

Kidney Stones ROCK!

Pun intended.

Today was supposed to be my RDO, my regular day off. I normally have every other Friday off. And I LOVE that about my schedule. But today, I worked for five hours.

Early this afternoon, I got a call from the school. Jeff was not feeling well. Possible kidney stone. He wanted me to give the school permission to let him go home. So, I did.

An hour and a half later, Jeff calls me in tears. He can't take the pain and wants to go to the doctor. So, I leave work and take Jeff to the Quick Care Clinic in W'ton. After two hours, a thorough exam, and a urinalysis, we were sent to the hospital for a CT scan. Who would have thought that you could get a CT scan at 5:30pm on a Friday?

An hour later, kidney stone confirmed, we stopped by CVS to pick up Jeff's prescription. Jeff was hoping it wasn't darvocet because they don't mask the pain as well as other meds that he's taken. I, on the other hand, was hoping it wasn't loritab because even Jeff admits that they make him REALLY ANGRY.

When we got there, we found that Jeff had been prescribed THREE different meds. Loritab (ugh, lucky me), but this time at a lower dosage. 800mg of ibuprofen. (TWO pain meds? hmmm.) And terazosin, which as far as I can tell, is primarily prescribed for high blood pressure, but also relaxes the muscles in the bladder, making it easier to urinate. And anyone who's had a kidney stone knows that if you're not urinating, the stone is NOT moving. And folks, that ain't good.

So, for the fourth time since June, Jeff has kidney stones. Needless to say, the doctor was concerned. Jeff REALLY needs to capture a stone so that it can be analyzed. Only THEN will we know how to modify his diet to hopefully prevent these events in the future.

2 comments:

Cissy Apple said...

I had one once about 32 years ago. For three days I thought it was my imagination. I was lucky. Dr. Chattin gave me medicine to dissolve it and I never had another one. So I know, from a girl's perspective, how they feel. And that's not nearly as bad as what the boys have. But then again...guys don't have labor pains and menstrual cramps. Somewhere along the way, God tried to even things out a bit. Good luck, Jeff. I always heard to drink lots of lemonade and stay away from tea. But that's probably for a calcium-based stone.

Maki said...

Oh that must be painful... Weak kidneys run in my family and my mom is on dialysis.. I hope he feels better and someday will be able to really catch the stone to treat it better...

Thank you so much for supporting my big day past Wednesday..

Hope you're having a good weekend and stay in touch:)