Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Best Laid Plans

Life is all about prioritizing.

Today, I knew I had three things I needed to accomplish before the end of the day. I worked ten hours and accomplished not even a little part of any one of them.

Why is that? Because I don't work for me. I work for someone else. And he sets my priorities. You've heard, 'we plan; God laughs.' Well at work, it's more like, 'I plan; my boss smirks, shakes his head, chuckles a bit, rolls on the floor in uncontrollable guffaws, and then composes himself long enough to yank on the puppet strings.'

I found out first thing this morning that I'll be traveling to Maryland next week with my boss. He sent me his itinerary and asked me to do what I could to match it. Accomplishing the paperwork to make all that happen took a couple/few hours.

I'll be flying out of Louisville instead of Indianapolis. Unfortunately, the flight that he's taking is completely booked. Lucky for me, I was able to find one that takes off 25 minutes earlier and lands 15 minutes later than his. So, he won't have to wait too long in baggage claim for me to catch up with him.

Unfortunately, the hotel that he's staying in will not allow me to stay there for per diem because I'm just a contractor. Lucky for me, the company I work for is going to 'make it work', since the boss will have the rental car and they don't want me to be a burden on him by making him drive around to pick me up and drop me off.

Unfortunately, being on travel and spending all day every day in training classes, I won't be able to accomplish my 'real' job. Lucky for me, I'll be with the boss!

Man, I hope my airline doesn't file bankruptcy between now and then.

No comments: