Sunday, April 6, 2008

Walk This Way


We had another absolutely gorgeous day in God's Country. I spent the afternoon sitting on my porch reading more of 'Writing Down the Bones'. I love to hang out on my porch when the weather is nice. Sometimes it's me and a book. Sometimes me and my laptop. Sometimes me and the cat.

But today, it wasn't as peaceful as I'd hoped. Of course, I expected the birds to be talking about all kinds of things in all kinds of languages. But for me, birds are like wind chimes. They make a lot of noise, but I think of it as pleasant background noise. I like the birds AND the wind chimes. But the DOGS! So much to say today! Barking is such a disruptive sound. And they only speak in one volume. And once one starts 'speaking', they ALL have to respond. More than once, I found myself wanting to yell, "SHUT UP ALREADY!"

And the teenagers were all riding around in their cars with the windows down listening to whatever they listen to...with LOTS of speakers. Every minute or so, another really loud song that I didn't recognize would be wafting into my ambiance. Oh, another warm weather activity? Motorcycles. Also loud. Sometimes painfully so.

But the nice weather mostly meant that so many people were out walking today. Young people, older people. Some for exercise, some for enjoyment. Some pushing strollers, some walking alongside their kids on bicycles. And some of them walking their dogs...right past the neighborhood dogs...making them bark even more. (sorry, I covered that already)

Anyway, it all inspired me to walk. I didn't walk for an hour for exercise, which I really could have used. But I had a couple of places I needed to be this afternoon and chose to walk to both of them. So, I got to enjoy the weather, get a bit of exercise, and save gas. A win-win-win solution.

No comments: