Monday, April 21, 2008

Book Review

First thing Saturday...okay, first thing after I slept in until nearly 10am...I ran a couple of errands. One included stopping by the library to see if they had the latest James Patterson book I saw at the airport. Lucky me! They had TWO. I put my name on the list for "7th Heaven"; I checked out "You've Been Warned."

I finished it in about 30 hours. And what a strange book. I still have questions about a couple of the things that occurred. For instance, more than once, the main character received collect calls from herself. I still don't know the point of that. Was she going crazy? Perhaps she wasn't REALLY getting collect calls from herself. But the text stated that she was. So, I don't know how to reconcile that one.

Also, a couple of times, other characters called her Satan or an evil spirit. But to me, an evil spirit would wreak havoc on others' lives purposely. Okay, she was having an affair with a married man. But it wasn't like she set out to do that simply to wreck that family. And the rest of her life seemed so normal. To me, an evil spirit would take advantage of every opportunity to make others do bad things and to make others unhappy. I just don't get it.

And at the end, I couldn't tell if she was going to hell or if she was already IN hell.

I love James Patterson. I've read most of his books and will continue to read them. But I was a bit disappointed in this one. I'm glad I finished it in two days; at least I won't be wasting any more time on it. I definitely wouldn't suggest it to a fellow reader.

No comments: