Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo

It's Cinco de Mayo and you know what I'm having for lunch? A baked potato with light butter and pepper. (No salt today because the doctor says my blood pressure is creeping up and she doesn't like that one little bit.)


But I have to admit, it's perfect. I'm really enjoying it. Probably not as much as I'd enjoy tacos and refried beans with tortilla chips. But the baked potato is really easy and convenient... and probably much better for me.


I have a handful of individually wrapped potatoes on the shelf above my desk. That's where I keep the sea salt and black peppercorn grinders too. And I have a small tub of Country Crock Light spread (with 50% less calories and fat than butter...says so right on the lid...must be true) in the refrigerator in the break room. Seven minutes in the microwave and I have a happy belly for a few hours.


Okay, I've had a 'come to Jesus' kind of moment yesterday. Jeff and I were walking into the house and he asked me if I needed to be on the computer. He's been putting songs on his girlfriend's i-Pod and wanted to continue his efforts. I told him that I didn't need to be on the computer long, but that I had to write a blog entry. He immediately came back with, "You don't HAVE to. You WANT to." Gee, where have I heard that before?


I went on to tell him that I've posted a blog entry every day since February 1st and I wasn't going to skip a day so he could play with his girl's i-Pod. Ultimately, I wrote my blog entry, got off the computer, and Jeff went back to what he was doing.


But I've thought about it a lot in the last 16-18 hours. If I put the time, effort, and discipline into other things like I did this silly blog, there's no telling what things in my life could (WOULD) be different.
Let's just say it takes me 30 minutes to write a blog entry. Sometimes it takes longer; sometimes it's not so long. But let's just say on average, 30 minutes a day posting to my blog...let's not even talk about the time I spend reading my friends' blogs!
If I spent 30 minutes every day cleaning my house, my house would be much more organized, cleaner, AND it would free up some of my Saturday for other things.


If I read my bible for 30 minutes every day, I wouldn't be concerned with reading it cover-to-cover just ONCE. I'd have it read cover-to-cover once a year or more!


If I walked or exercised 30 minutes every day, I'd be in much better shape. I'd be wearing a smaller size. I'd be sleeping better. My doctor would be happy with me. I wouldn't have blood-pressure issues. And I'd get more fresh air and sunshine.


If I spent 30 minutes every day doing any ONE of the above items, I'd likely be spending less time in front of the television... And that's GOT to be better for me.


I'd love to say that tomorrow, I'm taking off from posting a blog entry. But I'm kind of anal-retentive when it comes to things like that. Why kill a streak when I don't have too? But there are PLENTY of other 30 minute blocks in my day. I am going to start filling them up with things that are much more beneficial to me.


Sure, (Jeff) I don't HAVE to do any of it. But I WANT to. And maybe I do NEED to. At any rate, look out world, I'm committing to another 'daily' task. I think I'm going to start with walking; my doctor is really yelling at me. And the whole idea of looking better, feeling better, sleeping better, being smaller, and being outside more just sounds so very nice right now.

No comments: