Saturday, May 9, 2009

Silent Tears by Kay Bratt

I got a book in the mail today. I knew it was coming. Not that I knew much of anything about the book OR the writer. But it's my very first book every where the author signed it!

I visit a site called the
Secret Is in the Sauce every day. They are committed to lifting up women in many different ways. The easiest way that allows us all to get involved is by visiting and commenting on each other's blogs, offering encouragement or advice. They also share prayer requests and promote women's businesses...among other things.

Well, a few weeks ago, they had an online auction in support of a fundraiser at
Mom It Forward. This amazing website's motto is "changing the world one mom at a time". Isn't that great?!

Mom It Forward was raising money for
Yehu. Yehu is a micro-finance organization in the rural coastal region of Kenya for the poor, run by the poor. It provides financial and other support services for small businesses owned by very poor people.

So, several SITS followers donated items to have included in an online auction to support Yehu. One of the items was
Kay Bratt's book, Silent Tears. I bid on it. For several reasons. One, I wanted to donate SOMETHING. Two, I want to BE a writer, so I want to SUPPORT writers. And three, I would finally have a book that was signed by the author!

I didn't even know what the book was about when I bid on it. But I looked it up online...gotta love the Internet. I found that this book is about one woman's emotional journey in a third world country with the children who fill the orphanages there. It's about their lives and how they touched her. And it's about her undying love and never-ending advocacy for them, not only to make their lives in the orphanages better, but also to facilitate adoption efforts.


How inspiring. I'm looking forward to every page.

No comments: