Thursday, October 16, 2008

Catching Up

I've really been slacking on blogging lately. All writing actually. I've just had so much on my mind that I couldn't really clear my head enough to be objective or polite or brief or positive or whatever. After enough time goes by, I just have so much to say that I don't know where to start. So today, I'm catching up.

Jeff/School - After my really bad meeting with the principal and the guidance counselor, I wrote a letter to the superintendent. I have not heard anything from that. I'm disappointed, though not surprised. I also got copies to three of the five school board members. I think they intend to discuss it at their Executive Session Monday. I don't really know what I want to come from this; I feel the damage has already been done. Jeff stays up all hours of the night, sleeps in until shortly before he has to be at school, still rarely does his homework, and hasn't gotten another job. So, the only thing that has changed is that Jeff has a ton of time on his hands and nothing productive to do.

My take on Jeff is that he's simply too afraid to be an adult. If he could stay in high school for another three years, I think he would. He doesn't want to be 18. He doesn't want to move away. He doesn't want to grow up. I mean he does, but he's scared of all of it. I tried to tell him that it's not a one-man club, but he doesn't want to hear it from me.

Grandma - Grandma passed away Sunday at 4:15pm. She seemed to be pain-free all weekend. A couple of times near the end, she seemed to be listening to someone that we couldn't hear. She has so many family members who went before her. I'm sure there was quite a reception for her at the Pearly Gates.

So many friends and family stopped by during visitation. It was very nice to share hugs and memories. And then the funeral was just beautiful. The entire week was just such a blessing. Emotionally exhausting, but definitely a blessing.

Work - While on that subject, I didn't travel this week. So, I totally felt like I abandoned Bev. Things went pretty well Tuesday and Wednesday, but not so much today. We learned about a couple of major issues...that we couldn't have known from here. I hope we can get it all worked out. And I hope that Bev survives the week okay.

Fireproof - Fireproof is showing in Washington starting tomorrow! I can't wait to go see it. Maybe Saturday. Jeff will be at his dad's. This is the latest movie done by the makers of 'Facing the Giants' and 'Flywheel'.

Writing - I have a new book idea and a new writing forum. November is National Novel Writing Month. There is a website called NaNoWriMo.org where folks write with abandon for 30 days. The goal is to write 50,000 words in one month. I am going to write about two women nearing 40, single, independent, employed, full of spirit. The difference between the two women is that one of them has a teenager; the other has no children. One woman is completely frustrated by her teenager and her inability to control his behavior, thinking she's a complete failure as a mother. The other woman is jealous even of that. She wants a child so badly, she can taste it. I'm not sure how the book will end though. I need to put a lot of thought into that prior to November.

Becky - Becky was one of my customers. She lived in the Maryland area. She supported the users of our system at her site. She'd been battling cancer for quite some time. We learned this week that she passed away. She took a turn for the worse this past weekend and didn't make it through the week. So sad. God bless Becky and her family.

Lacy's Pregnant - Prayers answered! Lacy is pregnant!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! What an update. You covered just about everything, I think. I'm doing NaNoWriMo too! My user name is Erando (imagine that) and I just signed up last week. My sister has done it for the past six years or so, so this is old hat for her. I know I can write entire novels because I have already, but that one took me five years thanks to grad school and teaching. Maybe we'll both get our books done this November. :)

The Jeffers Clan said...

Leslie...I will be praying for Jeff. This is a tough age. You are a wonderful mother and person. Don't ever think different. I love ya girl...God Bless