Monday, October 20, 2008

Two Things I Observed Today

First, Jeff's driving is much like swimming. You should wait at least an hour after eating before taking part in either activity.

Second, Hwy 150 between I-64 and Shoals reminds me a lot of the Israelites' exodus from Egypt. Keep in mind, this analogy may have only crossed my mind because I'm reading the Book of Exodus right now. Yeah, probably. Nevertheless...

I've heard it said that the distance covered by the Israelites could have been accomplished in a small fraction of the 40 years they actually spent in the desert. Likewise, with all the twists and turns on Hwy 150, I'm pretty sure we only traveled about 5 miles, but it took us an hour and a half.

Granted there are a few differences.
  • We were in a Pontiac.
  • There were only just the two of us...not the 600,000 men PLUS women and children.
  • Jeff is no Moses...for one, he DOESN'T have an older brother and two, he would have no problem making demands of Pharaoh.
  • We had signs...some yellow, some white, some green...to give us direction, not to mention that paved road with the yellow line down the middle. That pretty much guaranteed that we stayed on track.
  • We got no manna...not literally, that is. But discussing the Book of Exodus with my 17-year-old on a Monday night was fulfilling in its own way.

I could go on, but I'm tired. I didn't get to sleep until about 3am this morning...I don't know why. Apparently my body needed the exercise that comes with tossing and turning for hours! Then I worked all day. Then I spent three hours on the road...half of that with Jeff behind the wheel. I am now officially exhausted! Time for bed.


2 comments:

Christy said...

Must of been an epidemic because I didn't get to sleep before 2 a.m. and I NEVER have trouble sleeping! Great post!! Love Ya!!

Lauren said...

Every day on the way to school, my dad and I would sit at the flashing lights as we waited to turn right across from St. John's.


and every stinkin' day my dad would say the same thing as we waited for the cars to pass so we could turn.

"Looks like we got a mass exodus from Shoals today. heh heh heh."

I can relate.