Friday, October 17, 2008

Lunch at Denny's

One of my silly pleasures is to have a meal at Denny's all by myself. Not just any meal, I get the same thing every time... a veggie omelet, hash browns, wheat toast, and a Coke. And when I leave, I leave a big tip.

I KNOW! It's silly. But I enjoy it. I eat and read usually. But yesterday, after reading a couple of chapters of my James Patterson book (Sundays at Tiffany's), I decided to write. I actually got the writing idea from the book.

In the book, two of the characters play the Michael and Jane Game. They played the game at a restaurant. Jane points at a table and Michael has to come up with an interesting story describing the people sitting there. If Jane likes it, she gives Michael a point. Then Michael points to a different table and Jane has to come up with an equally interesting story that fits the people sitting there. They go back and forth that way. Well, you get the idea.

So, this is who I had lunch with!

Who I saw: three middle-aged men, two in smart suits, one in wrinkled khakis and a white polo.
Their story: at first, I assumed the 'suits' were ganging up on the less experienced, non-business-minded man who obviously knew nothing about insurance. But I soon realized that the man in the rumpled clothes was a self-made success. One of the men in a suit was his personal lawyer, ensuring all insurance avenues were covered with respect to his clients life and livelihood.

Who I saw: a young, overweight couple with a toddler.
Their story: this meal was a treat for them. This family was definitely not accustomed to being out on the town. My guess is that they found a $20 bill on the ground and decided to go to a sit-down restaurant for the first time in forever. They seemed to really enjoy being there, though they also looked like they were self-conscious. (I considered paying for their meal myself, but they were gone before I figured out how to pull that off gracefully...and anonymously.)

Who I saw: an elderly couple, him with a walker, her with a purse and a big hat.
Their story: this was the only couple that was at the restaurant longer than me. Everything they did was slow and deliberate. I'm sure they were moving slower simply due to aches and pains. But I also got the distinct impression that they were going out of their way not to rush, to simply enjoy every minute together. She read the menu to him and reminded him of what he liked and didn't like. It was all very sweet.

I saw others there as well. But between eating and reading, I didn't get words down for everyone. But I enjoyed the exercise. And I look forward to doing it again.

No comments: