Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Tribute to Mother

(read at my grandmother's funeral)



Your gentle guidance has immeasurably influenced
all that I have done,
all that I do,
and all that I will ever do.

Your sweet spirit is indelibly imprinted

on all that I have been,
all that I am,
and all that I will ever be.

Thus, you are a part

of all that I accomplish
and all that I become.

And so it is that when I help my neighbor,
your helping hand is there also.

When I ease the pain of a friend,
they owe a debt to you.

When I show a child a better way,
either by word or by example,
you are the teacher once removed.

Because everything I do

reflects values learned from you...
any wrong that I right,
any heart I may brighten,
any gift that I share,
or burden I may lighten...
is in its own small way a tribute to you.

Because you gave me life,

and more importantly,
lessons in how to live,

you are the wellspring from which flows
all good I may achieve in my time on earth.

For all that you are and for all that I am,

thank you, Mom.