Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's Moving Day!

I recently changed jobs and had to move with the new position. so, I put all of my things into several boxes and moved them from one building to another. That was right at eight weeks ago.

The building I moved into was old and falling apart. There's always a rumor going around that the people in that building were going to have to be moved out and the structure condemned once and for all. But heck, they were saying that when I working in that building four years ago and still no one moved. So, I moved in and sat where they told me to sit. For some reason, I didn't take the time to unpack all of my boxes. In fact, two of them stayed in the backseat of my car. I just wasn't sure how I wanted to decorate my cubicle or where I was going to store all of my stuff.

Well, here lately, with all the snow melting and the added rain, the roof has been leaking. BADLY. In fact, it was becoming the norm to walk into the offices in the morning only to find several ceiling tiles down, lying in a crumbled mess in a puddle of water on the floor. Don't even ASK me about all the things that came down WITH the ceiling tiles.

With all the damage, a few people have even been displaced from their offices. We went a whole day without half of the ladies room! In a building that houses a good 75+ women, that's not a good thing. Several people had also taken to covering everything in their offices with plastic before going home at night. How sad is that?! In addition to shutting down the PC and filing away anything that needed to be put away, folks were pulling out large pieces of black plastic to protect their furniture, file cabinets, personal items, and paperwork.

In addition to the inconvenience of being without four of the six stalls in the women's bathroom, people were complaining about headaches. Some were saying that their allergies were acting up, so they were coughing and hacking all the time. It was decided that with the falling of the ceiling tiles, most certainly dust and mold had probably invaded our work spaces more so than before.

At any rate, things kind of hit a head this week. Apparently there was a meeting at 3pm on Tuesday to discuss a proposal for moving some folks out of that building. We were officially informed at noon on Wednesday that we'd be moving starting at 9am today. So again, I boxed up everything in my cubicle (those things that I actually unpacked before plus the things I inherited with my new position) and moved again.

Here it is, before the end of the workday on Thursday and I am officially moved. My phone doesn't work yet, but my computer is up and running. Talk about making something come together quickly! There are still 8-10 people that will be moving between now and Tuesday. But my move is complete.

The first thing that I did when I walked in was to see if there were any water stains on the ceiling tiles. So far, I haven't seen even one!

PS. This move is supposed to be somewhat temporary. We will probably be moving again so that we can again be in the same building as the rest of our department. So, another moving day will be on the schedule...eventually. Hey, as long as I'm dry, I'm not complaining!


Christy said...

And Asbestos!!! So... What building did you go to & from???

Susie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving such sweet comments! I hope to see you back there soon:-)