Thursday, February 12, 2009

Spiritual Secrets to Weight Loss

Spiritual Secrets to Weight Loss: A 50 Day Renewal of Body, Mind, and Spirit
by Kara Davis, MD


The easy-to-use 50-day format of "Spiritual Secrets to Weight Loss" emphasizes both the physical and spiritual aspects of weight loss and encourages positive health habits and long-term lifestyle changes. The secrets to permanent weight loss lie in understanding the power of God.

My mom loaned me this book. I LOVE the title. And so far, I'm loving the book! Every day, there is a bible verse to motivate me. I was surprised to see how many times the bible tells us that mind, body, and spirit are intertwined and that lacking in one can easily make us less than effective in the others. This book is also a great reminder that I can rely on God's strength for anything, even something like losing weight.

The fact is, food is somewhat of an addiction for me. I eat all the time. I have always eaten whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, without considering the consequences of my decisions with regard to my health or my spirituality. I've used every excuse to eat: to celebrate, to commiserate, to fill time when I'm bored, etc.

Well from now on, I want to eat because my body requires the fuel. I'm sure there will be times when I eat for other reasons, like a birthday party or the super bowl...or because I'm temporarily back-sliding! But for the most part, I'll do what I can to eat healthier foods in appropriate portions because it's time to refuel my body. Not because I don't have anything better to do.

No comments: