Saturday, July 18, 2009

Losing Young People

I hate it when young people die. When older people die, it's somewhat expected. It's sad, but still...not completely out of the realm of believability. When sick people die, it's still sad. But it's not a shock.

But when young people die, other young people start to feel mortal. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. But it is sad. And it's a shock to their psyche.

My son lost a friend today. His name was Dustin Ash. He was in an accident with a semi and possibly one other car. All I know is what Jeff told me... that Dustin and his girlfriend were driving home from Holiday World. They were in an accident with a semi. Dustin was killed and his girlfriend was air-lifted to somewhere. But she's going to survive. I don't know how the accident happened, who is at fault, or how the other people are.

I just know that when Jeff called me, he was completely shocked and upset...and I couldn't help but cry for this kid I only met a couple of times. I was mostly crying because my son's heart was breaking and he was feeling a little less invincible. But I was also imagining how Dustin's family was feeling and how scared everyone must have been during the accident. And then of course, it crossed my mind that I could lose Jeff just that quickly.


Today, the only thing that I see that's remotely positive about this event is how it brings Dustin's friends together. Jeff spent the evening with friends, telling stories and reminiscing, laughing and probably crying. I'm so glad he had friends to be with, since I was out of town for the evening.

Losing young people... just sucks. I know, it's not eloquent. But it seemed appropriate. It's teen-speak anyway.

2 comments:

Cissy Apple said...

I lost one of my best friends when he was 19 in a construction accident. He was married to my best friend Brenda...a match that I had set up with the help of another friend. He left behind a six-month-old baby. So I know how Jeff feels. And you don't get over it. You just learn to live with it.
I don't know why it is, but seems like this area loses a couple of kids every year due to car accidents.

Roz said...

On Tuesday, one of my sisters close friends died of a heart attack ... at age 28!! He was in a coma for about a week but never recovered. I've only met him a couple of times, but he had become a close friend to some of my nieces. They said he had a condition that the family was not aware of. I felt really sad because he was always full of life. I don't know how his parents are holding up, I've always felt that parents should never outlive their children.