Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hello, World!


I know, it's been awhile. Boy, when I take time off, I take time off! It's crossed my mind to blog a few times, but I just couldn't settle on one topic. So much going on. So I finally decided, why settle on one topic?!
I have a question. What's the difference between Partly Sunny and Mostly Cloudy? By the same token (and you HAD to know this was coming), what's the difference between Mostly Sunny and Partly Cloudy? To me, each pair seems pretty synonymous. I mean really, is there some teeny-tiny, minuscule detail that separates the definition of those two descriptions? I don't know that the average person would be aware of this difference. Personally, I'd stick with the more positive of the two, Partly Sunny or Mostly Sunny...unless of course, we've waited WEEKS for a good rain. Then I'd go with Mostly Cloudy or Partly Cloudy. I'm just saying.

My Mary Kay director asked me to make a list of any women in my life that I'd be willing to call just to let them know that I was a new MK Consultant, ask them if they already had/needed a MK Consultant, and see if they wanted to try any of our latest products. So, I spent one evening last week writing down names. I'm not sure how many names she was expecting, maybe a dozen or two. She was speechless and maybe even stopped breathing for a few seconds when I handed her a list of 137 names. She said that she has active, successful consultants in her unit that don't have that many customers. Granted, not all of my 137 names will become customers. I know that some of them already have a consultant, or at least they used to. And I'm sure that there are still others that prefer a different brand name. But still, it gives me a great place to start.

My latest mantra:
With every day that you do something in support of your goals, regardless of the effort expended, you make progress. With every day that you don't, you fall behind. Which do you prefer?


I think of this with respect to my goals concerning diet, exercise, bible reading, household chores, my MK business, and savings. Every.Baby.Step. Moves me closer to my goals. So, why not accomplish even just one little baby step every day. Granted, bigger steps will get me there faster. But the point is, doing nothing is NEVER the right answer. Do something. Anything!

I'm upset with Jeff again. He pulled another stunt that I simply have no patience for. He knows I'm disappointed. I hate to use that word when describing another person, but in this instance, it fits. Instead of arguing with me and turning it around so that it's my fault (which he's VERY good at), he actually looked remorseful. I didn't even know how to react to that, it was so uncharacteristic of him. He didn't apologize to my face, but did via voicemail several hours after I confronted him. He even said that he'd try to rectify the situation. I don't know if I believe that. I'm for sure not holding my breath. But honestly, it was refreshing to hear that response rather than what I was expecting from him. Then again, Jeff is a master manipulator. One of the best. So, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was all an act so that I'd stop yelling at him. That's my boy!

I think it's safe to say that my 20-year class reunion was a success. Thank God! I know I had a good time. And I've had several positive comments from classmates. We had a mixer Friday night at the K of C. I expected a dozen or so people. We had 18 classmates and many of them brought dates! We made a lot of noise and had a really good time. Then Saturday, we had 32 classmates (57 people with guests) signed up to come. Two of our classmates didn't make it. But three that hadn't signed up came after dinner. Excellent food. Silly prizes. Hours of 80's hair band music and dancing (aka aerobics). Then while several went to the 'after party', I went back to the hotel and totally chilled out. Good times.

Another local teenager was killed in a car accident this week. His name is Seth Coy. He graduated from W'ton in '08, I think. He was most recently playing for East Tennessee State University. He was a real likable guy and a crowd favorite, according to everything I've read about him. He was driving from college in TN to his home in IN. Initial reports indicate that he hydroplaned, flipped his vehicle twice, was ejected from his car, and landed in the median. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Another 19-year-old gone too soon. Another funeral with far more young people than old people.

No comments: