Thursday, July 9, 2009

Things that make you go, 'hmmm...'

I had the strangest conversation with my son over dinner tonight. We didn't have dinner until late because I got together with a couple of the girls to discuss some class reunion details. Very productive meeting. Lots of laughs too!

So, Jeff and I are sitting at Los Bravos...because that seems to be where we have our most serious conversations. Before our meal was served, Jeff says, "I'm thinking about getting my CDL (commercial driver's license) and waiting a year before going to school."

WHAT?!

College starts in five weeks. He has a schedule. He has a dorm room and a roommate. He had a plan. What the heck happened?!

He said many things as I started challenging him. He doesn't think he can afford school. He doesn't think a degree is necessary to succeed in life. He thinks that if he goes to school and drops out, he'll never go back...but if he puts off starting, then he'll finish all at once. (I don't know that that's a logical argument.) He wants to work. He's tired of being broke. And he wants to get away.

He reminded me during the conversation that my 'secret' dream job (outside of famous author) is to drive a big rig. I thought I'd enjoy the solitude and singing at the top of my lungs, seeing the country and listening to books on tape. Jeff said that he has some of those same ideas, that he's considered the adventure that it brings.

I just think his decision-making is all over the place lately. And it concerns me. I wonder if he's really thought this through. I wonder who we can talk to about whether or not this is really an option for Jeff. I REALLY wonder how serious he is about adjusting his plans for the coming year.

I'll continue to pray.

2 comments:

Greybeard said...

Got here via Cissy's blog.

Finishing High School I knew if I started college right away I'd fail. So I went to work and waited for Uncle Sam to come calling. Two years later, with a bellyful of "hard knocks" education I started college with a new respect for what it could do for me.
Sounds like that might be what's goin' on here.
Discuss.
Be supportive.
Let God work in your (and his) life.
Having read some of your comments elsewhere I commend you...
Sounds like you've provided the rest of the world a good citizen.

Leslie said...

I try. But wow, sometimes I don't know. And because he seems somewhat confused and erratic lately, I feel the need to be the voice of reason. But it's difficult to know what "the right thing" is for his life. One day at a time.

Thanks for the kind words.