Tuesday, July 14, 2009

So Many Rules

I really like today's motivational words:

Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer the goal. -Elbert Hubbard

In an effort to read my bible cover to cover, I'm reading a handful of chapters every day. I started at the beginning and am just wading my way through one book, one chapter, one verse at a time.

Today, I finished the Book of Leviticus. I don't mind saying, it's not my favorite book. Lots of rules. Lots of very specific processes. Don't get me wrong, I know we need rules and routines. But these rules were about how to choose a particular animal for each kind of sacrifice, knowing what to with all of the parts of each of those animals so as to praise God worthily, and understanding the difference between being 'clean' versus 'unclean'.

I've never sacrificed an animal as reparation for my sins, nor have I had to ask my priest to do so on my behalf. Because of Jesus, I don't have to. You know what makes me? Blessed!

Jesus' sacrifice on the cross replaced all of those burnt offerings and cereal offerings and sin offerings and communion sacrifices. Once for all. He died one time...to pay for all of our sins. He saved us all. We simply have to accept that gift. Thank you, thank you, Lord!

Now bring on Numbers!

No comments: