Monday, July 13, 2009

Three's a Charm!

I'm going to be a Mary Kay consultant...again!

The first time I was a consultant, it was 1994. I was active duty and a single mom. So, I was in it for the money. But I was also active duty and working in the computer field...meaning I was surrounded by mostly men. So, I was in it for the girl-time too. I enjoyed it, but didn't really take it serious enough, devote enough time to it, or truly believe that I could make a living selling cosmetics. I did it at my own pace and enjoyed it. Once I was out of the service and both working and going to school full time...still as a single parent, I pretty much let my Mary Kay go by the wayside.

Once I moved back to Indiana in '99, it didn't take me long to jump back into it again. I was a little more serious this time. I had a bigger inventory, held more classes, made more money, and treated it more like a business. And I was pretty good at it. Actually, I was really good at it. I am not shy and I'm not afraid to speak in front of a group. So, it was going well... until I was laid off from my full-time job and had to rely on my MK income. I worked my tush off and did really well...mostly. But I also got bad checks, bogus credit card numbers, and last-minute cancellations. And because my livelihood was dependent on it, it was SOOO stressful. I didn't deal all that well with that.

But I've been missing it. I miss having the products on my shelves. I miss trying all the new 'stuff'. I miss trying all the colors. I feel out of the loop with respect to what I could be doing to make myself look and feel better...but also about how all of my sister consultants are growing their businesses. I miss the income. I miss the weekly and monthly challenges. I miss it all! Mostly, I miss the 'girl time'.

So today, I signed my third (and hopefully, last) consultant agreement in my MK life. I don't have my new consultant ID yet. And I haven't even ordered my inventory yet. I've hardly even considered my goals. But I will. Soon!

No comments: